All. Lives. Matter.

Now that I have your attention, here are some ways that equestrians can actually respond to the racist nature of the sport and the United States. Reason I'm focusing on horse people specifically is because 1) the majority of people in my life who are staying silent on this issue are horse people and 2) there are suddenly so many brands saying that they're "listening" and "dedicated to making the industry more diverse". I'm glad Janet in marketing knows how to post a black square on Instagram. Next, let's try actually doing something.

1. Accept that your lack of action up until this point is appalling and damn near unforgivable.
This post isn't meant to be a 10 step program in how not to be racist, but accountability needs to happen before anything else. I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen a non-White model in an equestrian catalog. It's four. That's how many times I've seen it. Brown skin did not just appear yesterday. Discussions about diversity and representation have been ongoing for years. Your refusal to divert from the status quo is an act of violence.

2. Collect sources that speak to these issues and how they relate to the sport.
If you want to better understand what's happening, refer to the people it's happening to. I've spoken about my experiences on here before, but I cannot speak for everyone, especially those who come from different cultural backgrounds. The Young Black Equestrians podcast is a great place to start. I also love Black Reins, and they have exposed me to many new trainers and online resources. Use their interviews to gather information. You're probably going to hear things that make you uncomfortable. Humble yourself, and be empathetic.

3. Start a diversity and inclusion committee/task force/whatever to actually put that information to good use
AND MAKE SURE THAT GROUP IS ACTUALLY DIVERSE. There needs to be a diverse, humble, creative, and receptive team that is dedicated fully to promoting diversity, inclusion, and equity in your company. Again, the conversations will get uncomfortable, but being uncomfortable is better than being murdered.

4. Establish and support programs that give funding to those who want to ride but do not have the financial means to do so.
Anyone can be poor. There are poor people of every race. Those statements, however, do not discredit the fact that Native Americans, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans face poverty at higher rates than other races in the United States. If an activity is only available to those with financial means, by default it is going to be very, very White. A great program to look into is the Compton Cowboys, and there are similar stables that specifically work with at risk youth. If you are a trainer with the ability to do so, look into starting a program like this. Scholarships and grants also need to be accessible to everyone, not just those who are already members of nationally recognized organizations. Don't lecture me about "hand outs." I actually care about poor people.

5. Stop equating racism with a lack of education, The South, Conservatives, and Western Riding.
Doing this prevents you from holding yourself accountable for casual racism and micro aggression. Look at your own behavior. Look at your language. And then fix it.

6. Care about Black people, like, just half as much as y'all seem to care about horses.
Stop sharing the post about the police horse that got hit with a brick. The horse was not the target. The horse is fine. The individual who hit the horse was arrested on sight, much faster than the cops who murdered George Floyd. And last I checked, George Zimmerman is a free man.

You can also stop sharing false stories about the horse trailer that was surrounded in Tulsa. There were no horses in the trailer, despite a Facebook post stating that they were burned alive. No canisters were thrown into the trailer, despite another post saying the trailer was bombed. We live in the "fake news" era. Fact check hysterical stories before you share them rapidly.

I avoided going to the barn for several days while the protests were happening. Prior to all this, there were already statements that made uncomfortable, and I was afraid of being caught in a conversation that backed me up against a wall. I have zero desire to argue with anyone about why I have a right to be mad about violent murders. I am not open to discussions about why people shouldn't be murdered just because they look like me.

BLM National Resource List

Comments

  1. I have unfriended more horse people over the fucking horse trailer post than anything else. I just can't even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think that people upset by the (fake) killing of innocent animals would be just as upset about the killing of innocent people

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Is it okay if I share this post on my own blog roundup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and thanks for taking the time to write this all out. A blog reader just sent me a link to an article about City Ranch, located apparently right around the 695-70 juncture, and they use their program to take horses to nearby city schools for lessons. I’d never heard of them before but they’ve been operating since 2007. There are a few small programs out there whose missions are connecting horses with folks who might not otherwise have access - esp here in Baltimore. The programs just have such low visibility right now. Hopefully that will continue to change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it honestly sucks how little visibility and funding these programs get. I've never heard of the one in Baltimore, but I think that's similar to how Compton Cowboys operate. There was another one called Flagler Riding Academy, I think, but I'm pretty sure they shut down due to financial reasons :(

      Delete
  4. I'm here via L. Williams. Hello! If you'd like to add to your list, Detroit Horsepower is another great program for youth who wouldn't otherwise be involved in horses.

    http://www.detroithorsepower.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to highlight a couple of these programs in the coming weeks. They're fantastic resources.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring

The Regionals Swing