Goals & all that hogwash

Prior to starting this blog, I didn't set many goals related to horses. I always had a general idea of what I wanted to accomplish, mainly relating to shows, but it was always vague. As I was scrolling through older posts, I realized that I've wanted to show at 3' for over four years now, and that stung a little. As a matter of fact, most of my competitive goals have remained unaccomplished after ending on a high in 2014. Regular breaks in my riding have also made it more difficult to progress, both physically and mentally.

I still have dreams about this horse
With this in mind, I'm treading lightly with goals at the moment. As a matter of fact, these goals are just for the next two months during which I'm almost certain that I'll be in regular lessons (key word is almost).

Go to a show

Literally any show. My preferences are limited. I would like to jump mainly because I can't justify spending money on the Dressage tests when I'm not seriously competitive in Dressage at the moment. I'm feeling a lot more comfortable over a fence and can actually think about my position. Next test would be to see if I can do the same thing under slightly more stress. If this one doesn't work out, a clinic would be a fine replacement, and an Eventing trainer might be the best option at the moment.


Get into a doable fitness routine

I've slipped over the past year, but most of that is because of my mental health. Working out is a double edged sword because it does make me feel better 90% of the time. I over do it the other 10% of the time, and it creates a cycle of self hatred when I miss a day or can't do something or feel like my routine isn't intense enough or don't see the results I want or . . . or . . . or . . . Virtually anything can upset me. It's really fun.

One hour post work out & one moment pre publishing this post
Fix my wrists

More on this later

Get a new saddle

Ye olde Mortiz has always had a not quite right fit on me. On the flip side, its shape makes it super versatile on a lot of horses, which is why I've kept it for so long. I also really like how flat and not bulky it is. It makes me feel like I'm actually putting in an effort instead of relying on blocks and "grippy" leather to keep me stable. The only notable issue is the flap shape, and I might actually spring for another Moritz if I can find one. They have a good life time, and I would hate to lose the versatility.

I also really like how it looks & don't wanna change
Wish me luck!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

The Regionals Swing