Learning to let go

So, after going ghost post my first Dressage show, I'd like to say that big exciting things happened for me and Roman and the barn gang. But, nothing huge happened. I basically reverted back to my mindset during that one awesome spring I had with Baby where I wasn't really keen on lessons and whatnot and just wanted to have some fun.

Some really good memories here
Prior to going to Culpeper, Miss El pretty pointedly told me that to get the stretch on Ro, I needed to learn how to let go. Literally. Like drop the reins and just leg him into a circle. It's a pretty simple concept, but the execution is a lot less pretty. Hence the 5 we got . . . anyways, Ro had a fairly intense summer between me and Fi. Both him and Sanibel had time off from the end of the show until at least the day I moved back to school.

This was the good stretch, and yet
I think for all but two rides, I slapped the jump saddle and a halter on him and went. I sat in the Dressage saddle with a bridle once. I went bareback with a halter for the last ride. Realistically, I don't need to learn how to let go, I need to re-learn. The opportunity to do so hasn't been present for a while, and yet it was easy to slip back into that mindset once I had no one thing to focus on.

Since Ro is so amicable, he responded pretty well to having a bunch of 15 minute rides on a dropped rein.


But, of course, we can't forget his demons.


Miss El says he grew up and got dumb.

I wish I could say what's next for the two of us, but I don't. Miss El moved to start training with Julio Mendoza, which is super awesome because holy heck JULIO MENDOZA, but she' in a whole other state, and the commute would be not ideal. Based on her Instagram, Roman is loving North Carolina. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to see them again, but Ro is living his best life. So I'm happy. 'Till we meet again, war horse.

Chubby, cuddly, Dressage whip eating war horse

Comments

  1. Aw I'm sorry to hear Ms El and Roman moved away! I hate losing trainers and horses like that, even if they're doing well and happy! Hope things are otherwise going well in your horsey life and in general. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

The Regionals Swing