July's 10 Questions

Thanks, L for giving me a reason to talk about myself.

1. Do you actually always pick the horse’s feet? Always? Really?
Like 80% of the time. If they've been out and the pasture is mostly dry, I shrug it off. Otherwise, I pick.

2. What is the biggest obstacle/reason preventing you from becoming a professional or competing full time with ease?
Money, y'all (and partially no license, but mainly money). That being said, I could be filthy stinking rich and still try to find ways to cut costs.

not my life, unfortunately - image from giphy
3. Do you think it will ever not be about the money?
Nah, not in this world. I think we could easily (more or less) start promoting less than fortunate riders so that they can get their foot in the door of more opportunities.

4. Was there ever a horse that you loved and really wanted to have a connection with, but it just never panned out? Details.
There are a handful, but I think the one that affected me the most was Enzo. It was my third lesson with Miss El, long after the end of my show season. Previously, I had ridden Seren in my first two lessons, and Seren is . . . well, she's Seren, but she can take a joke (if it's a good joke). I'd heard mainly horror stories about Enzo, so when I was told that I'd be riding him, I was mortified. In contrast, Fi was super excited for me to be on him because she's insane. Needless to say, I survived, and I did it with a brand new understanding of contact. Enzo was a horse whose face was nearly off limits, and for me, Handsy Helen, being able to overcome that after a half hour and have him stretch right into my hands was basically magical. For much of the previous summer, I had been telling myself that I wanted to switch barns that fall, and Enzo made a strong argument for Miss El. Plus, he was for sale. I totally saw myself achieving things with crazy, permanent giraffe, ex-stallion Enzo. Then, Miss El went her own way, and Enzo was sold, and I haven't heard anything about him in over a year.

Miss ya, bud :(
5. What is one weakness in your riding that even your trainer doesn’t pick up on, only you?
I can never catch a break, so she ain't missing nothin'.

6. What is the biggest doubt/insecurity you ask or tell yourself in your head?
I have a whole schmorgesborg of doubts and insecurities, and no one is bigger than another. They are all equally prominent and persistent. Probably won't ever grow out of them.

7. There is a barn fire. You are the first person to discover it and see that the roof is collapsing in slowly, and you can tell that it’s going to come down any time. Do you call people first, or head in straight to save the horses?
Kinda morbid, but ok. I'd call first. People need to be aware of the situation. If I could, I'd go in and do what I can, but that's not advisable considering common sense and my asthma.

8. What is one event in your riding career/horse/anything that you’re still not over, even though you might tell others you are?
It's less individual events and more a culmination of things. I mean, my show anxiety didn't just come out of nowhere, but it didn't take only one show to screw me up.

*casually tries to sleep off anxiety*
9. If you could tell off one person you just don’t like, what would you say?
Nothing. Odds are, if I really don't like them, then they aren't worth my time.

10. Have you ever seen questionable riding or training practices, but let it go/ignored it? How do you feel about it in hindsight?
Happens relatively often if you show on a popular circuit. I can ignore (to a point), but I do not let it go. The trainer and/or rider (mainly depending on age and experience) will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. At my first IHSA show, the ring was riddled with obviously poor fitting tack and many martingales that were far too short, but at that point you can't do much else than grimace.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring

The Regionals Swing