More Than The Bare Minimum

Happy (Very Late) Mental Health Awareness Month! Figured it was worth it to check in since one of my goals this year was to do more than the bare minimum to take care of myself.


Ain't doing too bad on that. Well, minus the copious amounts of cake and biscuits I've consumed over the past two days, I'm taking care of myself! I think having a regular job at a place I don't hate has definitely helped. I like being able to get away from school work, and it's one more thing that gets me out of the house and prevents me from becoming a complete schlub. Since the start of quarantine, my work life balance has also improved, but that has more to do with my commute time being completely nixed. Instead of rushing from one city to the next, I'm taking a leisurely stroll from one computer to another. It's refreshing.

Here's some fun stuff I've been creating!

Work project, a deck design for a plant loving couple
My studio project from Fall 2019, an apartment building with attached insectarium
Physically it's uuuhhh been a roller coaster. Since the start of the school year, I wasn't working out as much, and pretty much all of the muscle I accumulated in undergrad has dissipated. I'm a whopping 10 pounds lighter than when I left Maryland. In February, I finally bit the bullet and decided to start birth control which really made a physical difference. When it comes to body changes, I try to be more mindful of the words I use to describe and motivate myself. On the one hand, I do want to tone up and get stronger. On the other, it's upsetting that I'm struggling to go for 1.5 miles when I used to breeze through 6 miles. Uggghhhh, I just need a routine!

Tubby says "please fix your balance :("
Spending time with people at the barn is also helping me feel more comfortable and motivated to ride. My lesson a while ago had me feeling really off, but I think riding different horses, helping my trainer out, and just talking to people is going a long way. Sometimes I feel like people think I hate them because of how shy and quiet I am in person. But then it's also a little weird say, "Hey, I'm gonna be a recluse for the first six to twelve months of you knowing me. Just don't take it personally, okay?" For the time being, I've resolved to hold myself to a strict schedule for when I go to the barn, whether I ride or not. Again, it's about having a routine and holding myself accountable.

In summary, this was my long, rambly way of letting y'all know that I'm okay and also my horse is super fucking cute.

Super duper hyper uber major extra cute

Comments

  1. Working out on ones own (without a gym) can be super hard, you just gotta keep chipping away and find what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would not believe how mad I was about gyms being closed . . . right before remembering that I have not been to a gym in nearly a year.

      Delete
  2. cute horses can fix a lot of worldly woes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, it's my favorite form of therapy :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring