Accidentally traumatizing my horse

It's not as bad as it sounds, trust me.

Personally, I'm traumatized by this absolute flyer he took to a fence that did not require so much effort

Between the Maryland 5*, a visit to see my girlfriend, and the general lack of work life balance that exudes from the architecture profession, I went a full two weeks with zero Fuego time. Plus, that was after several weeks of coming out multiple times within a week just to hang out and hand graze.

I was in a bit of a rush the other night after work. The sun is setting earlier and earlier. This is typically my easy time of year when it comes to riding simply because daylight is fleeting. The hitch this year is that, well . . . . . . . I might be going to a show in November. More on that as it materializes. I knew I was crunched for time, but I wanted to get some saddle time. I hauled myself out there and met up with a friend for a quick bareback ride to make sure all the software was still installed.

After this week's lesson, I can confirm that the "Go" button is officially uninstalled *face palm*

Fuego had other ideas lmao. He didn't really want to move forward at all but was more amicable to the left than the right. I figured it must be some type of soreness, and friend remarked that he looked a tad stiff. He does have some arthritis from his track days, and the weather has been teasing us with cool, dry days as off late. Eh, let the horse have the night off. As I remarked in my last vlog, Fuego always likes to hang out for a moment when I turn him out. I take the time to give him some face rubs. It's maybe 30-45 seconds of this before he walks off. Here's why I think I might have traumatized him a bit. I took his halter off, stood until he brought his head towards me, did the usual scratches and expected him to walk off eventually. He didn't. Just stood there being pampered. One of his many lovers was turned out as we were standing there. He sniffed her, then turned back to me. I tried to walk away, and nope, he insisted on the attention. So we stood there for several minutes whilst I ruminated in guilt. After a while, he was back to being an expensive lawn mower.

I don't believe in the idea that animals can love people because science says that's not a thing, or at least not in the way that humans love each other. It's also not in anyone's interest to anthropomorphize. That being said . . . might have given him abandonment issues. In any event, it's good to know that he'll seek me for reassurance in certain situations, and this is a behavior that I'd like to mold some more. It's similar to solutions used on reactive dogs. It doesn't translate 1:1 with horses, but there are plenty of resources and methods on this topic.

He still likes me even though I forget to count sometimes and bury him to fences <3

Despite my hiatus, we had a lovely lesson this past weekend. It's almost felt kind of boring lately?? Like we're not progressing, but in a good way?? He's been so consistent that things feel stagnant, but that stagnation is progress in itself. I have a lot more time and space now to work on myself. I'm getting much better with my distances and would feel very confident getting around a 2'-6" course at a show. We're in the process of getting my equitation back; my lower leg is starting to give me the stability that I need. The shoulders and core refuse to play along. Barring money, life circumstances, and the ever looming possibility of him being sold, I would like to put the Ariat Medal as a goal for both of us. I haven't checked, but I'd imagine the class runs at Wellington during the regular season, and it's close enough for us to trailer in and keep costs lower.

Alas, we can dream. Until then, I'll do my best not to break his big horsey heart.

My big, beautiful equitation horse who would rather die than pick up his knees <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring

The Regionals Swing