Thinkin' 'bout stuff

Just over a month into school, and I'm already missing the mare. I can't tell you the number of times I've dozed off thinking of all the wonderful things I want to do when I get back home, including multiple, specific plans for next show season that I keep jumping between.

But, I'm more focused on what I want to do at home in our own arena. I'm a huge proponent of Classical Dressage, and while I may not end up being entirely classical depending on whether I do a dressage show or not, the fundamentals and their theories are still important to me. I've figured that in order to learn more, I might as well start where I can: on the ground.

photo from Diane Followell
I'm starting with classical in hand training. Of course, we won't look like that cause 1) I'm not braiding her twice a week, and 2) we have a ways to go until side reins come in. But she will definitely be that shiny. The beast keeps herself quite clean. I would've asked about long lining as well, but, Emma made it sound complicated (and no I did not spend half an hour looking for that post), so we'll stay with one line for now.

This is the video that I sent to Miss El for reference:


Also, because I have no chill when it comes to pole work, I sent her a link to John Marti's Vimeo page. For once Facebook did something good for me. I came across his FB page by chance and followed a few links until I found the Vimeo. He sets up some pretty cool things, but I requested that we keep it simple for now meaning keep everything on the ground. This is my favorite video so far.


I can already hear Miss El yelling at me to stay straight to the channel of poles.

Comments

  1. lolz sorry for making it sound so hard - i think you should give long lining a try tho - it's actually very similar to holding the reins so if you've got a good feel for that you might not be as dolt-ish about the long lining as i was haha.

    but yea that video is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

The Regionals Swing