Going . . . going . . . good

Horses are awesome, y'all.

Despite the near constant stress that is caused by this hell hole we call higher education, I've still managed to go to the barn without feeling like I had a bajillion other obligations to take care of. The last couple of weeks have been quite a bit of swapping and intensive flatwork with some jumping. We've been fortunate enough to be outside for most of it, but winter is most definitely coming.

Tragically, I haven't been on Oscar lately, but the bag of recent mounts is a mixed one. I started out on Dori a couple weeks ago and swapped a bit. Last week, I started on Kodi and did some more swapping, then I finally got my hands on Tiber to school for an IEA show last Saturday. This past Friday, I rode Smooch, who we love dearly.

He actually gave me a hard time when I first got on. Some spinning, some inverting . . . he ended up knocking over the mounting station for shows . . . and then I forgot to put it back up, whoops. He settled right down for our ride. I think we broke every time we cantered. We did a lot of switching directions and transitions today, plus a little no-stirrup work. I was actually shocked since Coach S is all about No Stirrup November. Eh, I'll take the break.

He was p-e-r-f-e-c-t to jump. He even did a trot over for our warm-up fence. We nailed every distance, and he was so energetic to everything. Everyone harshes on Smooch because he's undoubtedly the angriest horse you'll ever meet,

Comments

  1. Sounds like a good way to break up the monotony of school stress!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring