The Winter Haul Reviews

A while back, my dad confessed to me that we almost moved to Texas shortly after I was born. Of course, that didn't happen. I'm still braving the Eastern Shore winter. In reality, it's not as bad as it could be, but I'd prefer a warmer climate.

Since I do have to layer up a bit, I actually got winterized gear this year. Now that winter is ending, and they have seen a full winter of regular use and abuse, here are condensed reviews for each.

Romfh Scandia Winter Knee Patch Breeches║www.equestriancollections.com
Winter breeches were the first absolute necessity. Winter tights under regular breeches didn't work at all last year, but these breeches have left me a whole lot happier. For the most part, the fit is great. They're fitted but not tight, and they are just the right length for me. They are small in the waist, so size up if you're in between. They have that crinkly material for the outer shell, which I don't like all that much, but the interior is a nice, warm, soft fleece. Plus, the pockets are deep, and my new phone is huge, so that's a plus. I only have to wear my tights when it's under 40°F, but I'm rarely at the barn when it's that cold. They're a solid 4/5 stars. 10/10 would recommend.
 
Horze Fleece Gloves║www.equestriancollections.com
Ah yes, my first bashing review. They're your average, run of the mill fleece gloves with a leather type palm. I planned to use them both for winter riding and for shows, but these things probably aren't going to make it past this season. They keep my hands kind of warm, but my fingers still freeze. Another issue is that all of the fingers are already tearing apart. Luckily, because of a coupon, the gloves were free, but I need to upgrade. Suggestions are appreciated. I'd say 3/5 stars. 5/10 would recommend.
 
Ariat Brossard Lace Paddock Boot║www.equestriancollections.com
I'm an Ariat junkie, I admit it. I needed winter boots that I could actually ride and work in, and the thing I wanted didn't have the price and size that I wanted, so I opted for these boots. They are the same quality that I expect and regularly receive from Ariat boots. The 4LR footbed has just the right amount of give for me. They are fleece lined, and the fit is fantastic. Like most winter boots, they are a bit bulky. With these, it's mainly in the ankle, and they look a bit odd under my half chaps. I'm also not a fan of the rounded toe, but I'll take comfort over aesthetics. 4/5 stars. 9/10 would recommend.

Horze Woolmax Socks DISCONTINUED
And here we see redemption. There is only one shoe that keeps my feet toasty, and that would be my Emus, but I can't ride in those (although I have in the past #born2bwild). Fortunately, I was able to purchase these socks, and they're definitely one of my top purchases. They are super soft and warm and have become a staple in all of my outfits, both in and out of the barn. They fit nicely into all of my shoes. I've never gotten cold toes in them. While these socks are no longer sold, Horze does carry a wool knee sock that might be similar in quality.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring