So that's what that is

Very happy with the length of this walk, but paying close attention to his neck muscles

After our last lesson, I heavily debated what I wanted to do with Fuego for our hack ride that week. Should I just go bareback? Should I push and continue to collect data? Maybe do a Dressage ride but super easy?

I decided to just do our normal Dressage ride. Because he gave me some nice movements (forward trot, bouncy canter), I wanted to keep nurturing that skillset. Confidence partially comes from building the right muscles and feeling like you can support yourself through difficult physical activities. I know I've felt a helluva lot more secure in the saddle now that my fitness is coming together. And truthfully, he's also become more consistent now that I've started asking him to move out. I actually noticed when I first started riding him that he is sensitive over his back. He used to react a lot more while grooming, but it is now miles better. I like to imagine that asking him to move forward and elongate the muscles over his topline has made a difference. Whatever the case, he's feeling and moving a lot better. We even got some great stretchy trot at the end of our last Dressage ride! Well, before he started spooking at the horses in the pasture. Eh, you gotta take what you get.

Passing close to X, overtracking a little but lacking suspension

A few strides later, lost the softness at the corner, kept the stride.
It's also very obvious that I need to work on my core.

We started out similar to last time. One whole lap around the ring in both directions before entering and getting to work. The extensions were a little more snappy this time; I could really feel his shoulders come up and forward. I think I still need more help from the ground to make sure he's actually engaging behind and not just flicking his toes out.

As we wrapped up our first 15 minutes and were on our walk break, one of the boarders came out to the arena. I was attempting to set up my phone on a rough jump standard, but it was not working well at all. She offered to film me and I was like "omg yes pls" because I haven't been able to record his extensions yet. I was so excited, hopped back on, got to it, and . . . he was lack luster. It's like, now that warm up is over, and he's gotten out all the attitude, he's meh about it all. Ugh, I was so upset, but trust me, y'all will see this horse move out even if it kills me.

Boots glamour shot plus new thrifted breeches

After that, the boarder and I went on a walk around the property to get her baby Thoroughbred warmed up. I figured it would be a good chance to let Fuego stretch out too. Once back in the ring, it was time to do some real work. There were some poles available, so I did a three loop serpentine over the poles and cantered a circle on the third loop. Both he and Destello need to work on not being so sudden with their down transitions, so the trot/canter/trot is great for him. He gets tense doing trot work right after canter. Next time, I'll simplify things to avoid the anticipation.

Back to the neck: muscling is better here but still seems a bit bulgy?? Or am I seeing things?

That being said, I'm not sure when "next time" will be. You see, during this ride, Fuego was quite obedient, but still flinging his head at seemingly random moments despite me keeping my hands quiet and soft. Again, made a mental note, and decided to see how he was in our next lesson. Much to my shock, Trainer T had me on Destello instead. I asked why, and . . . . . . Fuego popped a splint. So, um, that explains some things, I guess? My game plan is still on. We'll have some easy peasy bareback rides until he gets the go ahead to be back in normal work. In the meantime, there are a couple horses that may or may not be joining this story line, but that's all I'll say for now.

The only hint you get is this photo I took in 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

Unspoken Rules of the Hunter Ring

The Regionals Swing