At least I'm branching out

I'm not doing it particularly well, but I'm trying. Between last week's Dressage lesson and today's adventure, I think it's fair to say that I'm stepping out of the hunter land box. And what adventure did we have today, you ask?


Eventing.

Fun Fact: Precisely after that oxer, I nearly crashed into another fence.

My school just formed an eventing team this year, and every time I think about it, it seems like a better option than the equitation team. Today was pretty much an interest lesson for those who didn't join at the start of this semester. I kind of went just cause. I like riding horses. It was an opportunity to ride more horses. How can one say no?

It was pretty much your simple flat/jumping ride. I was on a TB named Timmy, and, wow, okay, what are aids??? I can't tell you how many times I gave up with the legs and just pulled him back to the rail (on a counter bend ://////). My issues with getting frustrated obviously haven't subsided. The trainer just had us warm up on our own, and while the goal was to get Timmy moving off of my leg, we did not achieve that goal. There wasn't really any rhythm or relaxation, just nothing, and don't even get me started with the jumping.

I haven't jumped that big since June, and I haven't done a course except for what Miss El had my doing in August, and those were quite short. We did a few smaller exercises, including poles and a cross rail, to warm up. Then it was on to a legitimate, eight fence course, and I just nnnnnnnnnnope. What are distances?? What is two point??? You want me to turn??????


I swear, this is why people think eventers are nuts. You guys do all that practical nonsense. Despite what I've said, it was actually a great lesson, and it had some super nice moments where I just felt super connected with Timmy. The trainer was awesome, and I'm maybe 70% sure I'll be joining them next year.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Kids Are Alright: Interview with Jill Treece

The Regionals Swing